The European Ceramic Society
Report on the 2022 AIMed ECerS Summer School
The first AIMed ECerS Summer School was organised by ECerS and the AIMed network at the University of Trieste (Italy), from 13th to 15th June 2022!
The School focused on the strategies and methodologies applied to the biological assessment of antimicrobial biomaterials. The 3-day programme provided a multi-disciplinary and intersectoral training for Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) and for external postgraduate students and post-doctoral research fellows.
The Summer School provided an enjoyable and productive opportunity to interact and meet with colleagues in the vibrant and exciting atmosphere of the City of Trieste.
There were 32 participants from 8 countries (Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, France, Germany, India, Italy, UK).
The programme included presentations from experts and leading researchers in the field:
- Gerard Giordano (Head of Orthopaedics, Traumatology Department, Joseph Ducuing Hospital, Toulouse, France) “Osteo-articular complex infection: daily practice and guidelines - Strategies, Techniques and technologies.”
- Paola Palmero, (Deparment of Applied Science and Technology, Politecnico di Torino, Italy) “Bioceramic scaffolds in bone tissue regeneration. Advances in materials and technologies.”
- Alex Tossi, (Life Science Department, University of Trieste, Italy) “Methods for identification, design and characterization of antimicrobial peptides.”
- Bikramjit Basu (Materials Research Center & Center for Biosystems Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India) “Biomaterials and Bioengineering-based strategies to combat implant infections: New perspectives to old challenges”
- Sarah Kuehne, (The School of Dentistry, University of Birmingham, UK) “Antimicrobial testing using Biofilm models.”
- Melissa Grant (The School of Dentistry, University of Birmingham, UK) “Using proteomics to explore antimicrobial mechanisms.”
- James Whitby (University of Birmingham, UK) “Scientific writing and project planning.”
- Lauren Deere (Public Engagement Team, University of Birmingham, UK) “Engaging Public Audiences with Research.”
- Claudine Lavergne (R&D project Manager, Teknimed, L'Union, France) “From design to the market - Medical device regulation.”
- Pierangela Perissinotto (Regulatory Technical Advisor, Limacorporate S.p.A., Italy) “Exploring the biocompatibility of Biomaterials for prosthetic implants: A company's point of view.”
A Poster Competition was also organised during the school: the best creative poster was awarded to Sara Bernardoni and the best poster presentation performance was awarded to Laura Colomina Alfaro !
YCN Newsletter 18 - New YCN Representative call
You can now apply to the YCN Representative position here! Deadline for applications is October 31st 2023.
Next Deadline to apply to the JECS Trust is 30th November 2023!
Please note that the decisions of the JECS Trust board will not be known before end of February 2024. Activities submitted for the deadline of 30th November 2023 for support from the JECS Trust should then not begin before mid-March 2024.
Contact us for any information: firstname.lastname@example.org - We will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.